Waterpedia Wiki is a free online encyclopedia of environment and sustainability by-and-for the global community to openly-edit and share knowledge on topics supporting the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The wiki contents are categorized under each of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals and structured into facts and answers responding the WHAT, WHY, WHERE, WHEN, WHO and HOW of issues and concepts related to achieving the SDGs.
The name WATERPEDIA is a linguistic blend of the words WATER (the elixir of life and the most vital element on the earth) and encycloPEDIA.
Waterpedia runs using the fully customized MediaWiki – the open source wiki engine created by the Wikimedia Foundation that supports and hosts Wikipedia, the oldest, and largest Wikimedia project. More details about the wiki version and installed extensions are available at Waterpedia's version page.
In accordance with Waterpedia's environmental motive, this wiki is a carbon neutral website which means that we have attained a carbon offset to balance any greenhouse gas emissions that are created by running this website and its backend operations.
For more details, refer Waterpedia Carbon neutral page
The icon of Waterpedia has a water drop (on the left) intertwined together with a cordiform leaf (on the right) representing the inevitable environmental bond between the water cycle and the living matter. The letter W overlays on the icon, which together with the brand name Waterpedia and the bottom tagline THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ENVIRONMENT & SUSTAINABILITY forms the logo of Waterpedia
As an Online Service Provider (OSP), Waterpedia’s goal is to facilitate global community interaction through various knowledge sharing platforms supporting the Sustainable Development Goals as per our social mission, and by complying with all the necessary technical and legal requirements.
Waterpedia's commitment is to establish itself as a one-point reliable source for almost all information relevant to environment and sustainability.
- Freedom to share and gain knowledge for free.
- Unbiased knowledge sharing from the best and most reputed and authoritative sources from a neutral point of view.
- Equality in treating fellow Waterpedia members and contributors to achieve the community goals and fulfill our commitment.
To ENABLE, ENHANCE and EMPOWER people to EXCHANGE ideas in order to EXCEL, and ENGAGE the global community to SHARE and SPREAD knowledge, and thus set forth a legacy resource for generations to come to continue working for a sustainable planet.
To be a one-point, free and reliable online source for sharing and acquiring all information relevant to environment and sustainability, contributed by-and-for the global community.
Though Waterpedia is founded / funded / developed / designed / programmed / administered / operated by a small team towards an environmental philanthropic motive, it often uses the terms WE, US and OUR which is not just a literary conceit but in accordance with the environmental commitment, Waterpedia relies on every one of you to accomplish its social mission.
For more details, please visit the Waterpedia community page.
Why Waterpedia Wiki?
The Waterpedia Wiki project is inspired by Wikipedia, a free-content encyclopedia, but focusing only on the environmental and sustainability niche sector as a collaborative wiki openly editable by all registered users who are industry professionals and experts.
What is Waterpedia Wiki?
The wiki contents are categorized under each of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals and structured into facts and answers responding the WHAT, WHY, WHERE, WHEN, WHO and HOW of issues and concepts related to achieving the SDGs.
- SDG01-No Poverty
- SDG02-Zero Hunger
- SDG03-Good Health and Well-being
- SDG04-Quality Education
- SDG05-Gender Equality
- SDG06-Clean Water and Sanitation
- SDG07-Affordable and Clean Energy
- SDG08-Decent Work and Economic Growth
- SDG09-Industry Innovation and Infrastructure
- SDG10-Reduced Inequalities
- SDG11-Sustainable Cities and Communities
- SDG12-Responsible Consumption and Production
- SDG13-Climate Action
- SDG14-Life below Water
- SDG15-Life on Land
- SDG16-Peace Justice and Strong Institutions
- SDG17-Partnerships for the Goals
Knowledge sharing will not be limited to the above list, but anything in relation to the environmental and sustainable green development shall be part of Waterpedia Wiki. In case of new ideas and topics that are not fitting into above sector and segments, please share your thoughts using the contact form
What is Waterpedia Wiki not?
Waterpedia Wiki is
- not a place to publish copyrighted content or images without the permission of the copyright holder.
- not a place to publish your personal inventions, self-promotional essays.
- not a soapbox or advertising website to market companies and it's sales and products catalogs.
- not a file storage service, blog, forum, social networking service, dating service or a memorial site.
- not a yellow page directory to store and share contact information.
- not for discrimination against others on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected characteristics.
For whom is Waterpedia Wiki?
- Environmental industry professional and experts
- Green-collar workers
- Students and people who are looking for green-collar jobs to understand more about the sector.
- Anyone who is surfing for information on the environmental, water and wastewater industry etc.