We welcome you (“you” or the “user”) as a reader, editor, author, or contributor of Waterpedia Wiki, and we encourage you to join the Waterpedia Wiki community. Before you participate, however, we ask that you please read and agree to the following Terms of Service (“Terms of Service”).
These Terms of Service tell you about our public services of Waterpedia Wiki, our relationship to you as a user, and the rights and responsibilities that guide us both. We want you to know that we host an incredible quantity of educational and informational content, all of which is contributed and made possible by users like yourself. Generally we do not contribute, monitor, or delete content (with the rare exception of policies like these Terms of Service or legal compliance for DMCA notices or NTD code). This means that editorial control is in the hands of you and your fellow users who create and manage the content. We merely host this content.
You are welcome to join as a contributor, editor, or author, but you should follow the policies that govern this website. Waterpedia Wiki has a team of contributors, editors or authors who work together to create and manage the content. You are welcome to join these teams and work with them to improve this website. Because we are dedicated to making content freely accessible to the public, we generally require that all content you contribute is available under a free license or in the public domain.
Please be aware that you are legally responsible for all of your contributions, edits, and re-use of Waterpedia Wiki content under the laws of the United States of America where our servers are hosted and the copyright law of the Netherlands where the website is operated and other applicable laws (which may include the laws where you live or where you view or edit content). This means it is important that you use caution when posting content. In light of this responsibility, we have some rules about what you cannot post, most of which is either for your own protection or for the protection of other users like yourself. Please keep in mind that the content we host is for general informational purposes only, so if you need expert advice for a particular question (such as design, process, and engineering or financial issues), you should seek the help of a licensed or qualified professional. We also include other important notices and disclaimers, so please read these Terms of Service in their entirety.
1. Our Services
Waterpedia Wiki is dedicated to encouraging the growth, development, and distribution of free content, and to hosting the full content of this wiki-based website for the public free of charge. However, we act only as a hosting service, maintaining the infrastructure and organizational framework that allows our users to build Waterpedia Wiki by contributing and editing content themselves. Because of our unique role, there are a couple of things you should be aware of when considering our relationship to you, Waterpedia Wiki, and the other users:
- a) We do not take an editorial role: Because Waterpedia Wiki is collaboratively edited, all of the content that we host is provided by users like yourself, and we do not take an editorial role. This means that we generally do not monitor or edit the content Waterpedia Wiki, and we do not take any responsibility for this content. Similarly, we do not endorse any opinions expressed via our services, and we do not represent or guarantee the truthfulness, accuracy, or reliability of any submitted community content. Instead, we simply provide access to the content that your fellow users have contributed and edited.
- b) You are responsible for your own actions: You are legally responsible for your edits and contributions on Waterpedia Wiki, so for your own protection you should exercise caution and avoid contributing any content that may result in criminal or civil liability under any applicable laws. Although we may not agree with such actions, we warn editors and contributors that authorities may seek to apply other country laws to you, including local laws where you live or where you view or edit content. Waterpedia Wiki generally cannot offer any protection, guarantee, immunity or indemnification.
3. Content We Host
- a) You may find some material objectionable or erroneous: Because we provide a wide array of content that is produced or gathered by fellow users, you may encounter material that you find offensive, erroneous, misleading, mislabeled, or otherwise objectionable. We, therefore, ask that you use common sense and proper judgment when using our services.
- b) Our content is for general informational purposes only: Although we host a great deal of information that pertains to professional topics, including engineering, design, or financial issues, this content is presented for general informational purposes only. It should not be taken as professional advice. Please seek independent professional counseling from someone who is licensed or qualified in the applicable area in lieu of acting on any information, opinion, or advice contained in Waterpedia.
4. Refraining from Certain Activities
Waterpedia exists because of the vibrant community of users like you who collaborate to write, edit, and curate the content. We happily welcome your participation in this community. We encourage you to be civil and polite in your interactions with others in the community, to act in good faith, and to make edits and contributions aimed at furthering the mission of Waterpedia Wiki.
Certain activities, whether legal or illegal, may be harmful to other users and violate our rules, and some activities may also subject you to liability. Therefore, for your own protection and for that of other users, you may not engage in such activities on our sites. These activities include:
Harassing and Abusing Others
- Engaging in harassment, threats, stalking, spamming, or vandalism; and
- Transmitting chain mail, junk mail, or spam to other users.
Violating the Privacy of Others
- Infringing the privacy rights of others under the laws of the United States of America or other applicable laws (which may include the laws where you live or where you view or edit content);
- Soliciting personally identifiable information for purposes of harassment, exploitation, violation of privacy, or any promotional or commercial purpose not explicitly approved by the Waterpedia Wiki SYSOP; and
- Soliciting personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 18 for an illegal purpose or violating any applicable law regarding the health or well-being of minors.
Engaging in False Statements, Impersonation, or Fraud
- Intentionally or knowingly posting content that constitutes libel or defamation;
- With the intent to deceive, posting content that is false or inaccurate;
- Attempting to impersonate another user or individual, misrepresenting your affiliation with any individual or entity, or using the username of another user with the intent to deceive; and
- Engaging in fraud.
- Infringing copyrights, trademarks, patents, or other proprietary rights under applicable law.
Misusing Our Services for Other Illegal Purposes
- Posting child pornography or any other content that violates applicable law concerning child pornography;
- Posting or trafficking in obscene material that is unlawful under applicable law; and
- Using the services in a manner that is inconsistent with applicable law.
Engaging in Disruptive and Illegal Misuse of Facilities
- Posting or distributing content that contains any viruses, malware, worms, Trojan horses, malicious code, or other device that could harm our technical infrastructure or system or that of our users;
- Engaging in automated uses of the site that are abusive or disruptive of the services and have not been approved by the Waterpedia Wiki community;
- Disrupting the services by placing an undue burden on the website or the networks or servers connected with the website;
- Disrupting the services by inundating the website with communications or other traffic that suggests no serious intent to use the website for its stated purpose;
- Knowingly accessing, tampering with, or using any of our non-public areas in our computer systems without authorization; and
- Probing, scanning, or testing the vulnerability of any of our technical systems or networks unless all the following conditions are met:
- such actions do not unduly abuse or disrupt our technical systems or networks;
- such actions are not for personal gain (except for credit for your work);
- you report any vulnerabilities to MediaWiki developers (or fix it yourself); and
- you do not undertake such actions with malicious or destructive intent.
5. Password Security
You are responsible for safeguarding your own password and should never disclose it to any third party.
6. Brand name and logo
DISCLAIMER OF LIABILITY AND COPYRIGHT STATEMENT
Although you have considerable freedoms for re-use of the content, we protect our brand logo and name so that we can protect our users from fraudulent impersonators. Because of this, we ask that you please respect our brand.
7. Licensing of Content
To grow the commons of free knowledge and free culture, all users contributing to Waterpedia are required to grant broad permissions to the general public to re-distribute and re-use their contributions freely, so long as that use is properly attributed and the same freedom to re-use and re-distribute is granted to any derivative works. In keeping with our goal of providing free information to the widest possible audience, we require that when necessary all submitted content be licensed so that it is freely reusable by anyone who cares to access it.
You agree to the following licensing requirements:
- a) Text to which you hold the copyright: When you submit text to which you hold the copyright, you agree to license it under:
- Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (“CC BY-SA”), and
- GNU Free Documentation License (“GFDL”) (unversioned, with no invariant sections, front-cover texts, or back-cover texts). (Re-users may comply with either license or both.)
Please note that these licenses do allow commercial uses of your contributions, as long as such uses are compliant with the terms.
- b) Attribution: Attribution is an important part of these licenses. We consider it giving credit where credit is due – to authors like yourself. When you contribute text, you agree to be attributed in any of the following fashions:
- i) Through hyperlink (where possible) or URL to the article to which you contributed (since each article has a history page that lists all authors and editors);
- ii) Through hyperlink (where possible) or URL to an alternative, stable online copy that is freely accessible, which conforms with the license, and which provides credit to the authors in a manner equivalent to the credit given on Waterpedia; or
- iii) Through a list of all authors (but please note that any list of authors may be filtered to exclude very small or irrelevant contributions).
- c) Importing text: You may import text that you have found elsewhere or that you have co-authored with others, but in such case you warrant that the text is available under terms that are compatible with the CC BY-SA 3.0 license (or, as explained above, another license when exceptionally required by Waterpedia)("CC BY-SA"). Content available only under GFDL is not permissible.
You agree that, if you import text under a CC BY-SA license that requires attribution, you must credit the author(s) in a reasonable fashion. Where such credit is commonly given through page histories, it is sufficient to give attribution in the edit summary, which is recorded in the page history, when importing the text. The attribution requirements are sometimes too intrusive for particular circumstances (regardless of the license), and there may be instances where the Waterpedia Wiki community decides that imported text cannot be used for that reason.
- d) Non-text media: Non-text media on Waterpedia Wiki are available under a variety of different licenses that support the general goal of allowing unrestricted re-use and re-distribution. When you contribute non-text media, you agree to comply with the requirements for such licenses as described in our Licensing Policy, and also comply with the requirements of Waterpedia Wiki to which you are contributing.
- e) No revocation of license: Except as consistent with your license, you agree that you will not unilaterally revoke or seek invalidation of any license that you have granted under these Terms of Service for text content or non-text media contributed to Waterpedia Wiki, even if you terminate use of our services.
- f) Public domain content: Content that is in the public domain is welcome! It is important however that you confirm the public domain status of the content under the law of the United States of America and the copyright law of the Netherlands, as well as the laws of any other countries as required by Waterpedia Wiki. When you contribute content that is in the public domain, you warrant that the material is actually in the public domain, and you agree to label it appropriately.
- g) Reuse: Reuse of content that we host is welcome, though exceptions exist for content contributed under "fair use" or similar exemptions under copyright law. Any re-use must comply with the underlying license(s).
When you re-use or re-distribute a text page developed by the Waterpedia Wiki community, you agree to attribute the authors in any of the following fashions:
- i) Through hyperlink (where possible) or URL to the page or pages that you are re-using (since each page has a history page that lists all authors and editors);
- ii) Through hyperlink (where possible) or URL to an alternative, stable online copy that is freely accessible, which conforms with the license, and which provides credit to the authors in a manner equivalent to the credit given on the website; or
- iii) Through a list of all authors (but please note that any list of authors may be filtered to exclude very small or irrelevant contributions).
If the text content was imported from another source, it is possible that the content is licensed under a compatible CC BY-SA license but not GFDL (as described in “Importing text,” above). In that case, you agree to comply with the compatible CC BY-SA license and do not have the option to re-license it under GFDL. To determine the license that applies to the content that you seek to re-use or re-distribute, you should review the page footer, page history, and discussion page.
For any non-text media, you agree to comply with whatever license under which the work has been made available (which can be discovered by clicking on the work and looking at the licensing section on its description page or reviewing an applicable source page for that work). When re-using any content that we host, you agree to comply with the relevant attribution requirements as they pertain to the underlying license or licenses.
- h) Modifications or additions to material that you re-use: When modifying or making additions to text that you have obtained, you agree to license the modified or added content under CC BY-SA 3.0 or later (or, as explained above, another license when exceptionally required by Waterpedia Wiki).
When modifying or making additions to any non-text media that you have obtained, you agree to license the modified or added content in accordance with whatever license under which the work has been made available.
With both text content and non-text media, you agree to clearly indicate that the original work has been modified. If you are re-using text content in a wiki, it is sufficient to indicate in the page history that you made a change to the imported text. For each copy or modified version that you distribute, you agree to include a licensing notice stating which license the work is released under, along with either a hyperlink or URL to the text of the license or a copy of the license itself.
8. DMCA compliance and NTD code of conduct
Waterpedia wants to ensure that the content that we host can be re-used by other users without fear of liability and that it is not infringing the proprietary rights of others. In fairness to our users, as well as to other creators and copyright holders, our policy is to respond to notices of alleged infringement that comply with the formalities of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and the Dutch code for Notice-and-Take-Down (NTD). Pursuant to the DMCA and the NTD, we will terminate, in appropriate circumstances, users and account holders of our system and network who are repeat infringers.
However, we also recognize that not every takedown notice is valid or in good faith. In such cases, we strongly encourage users to file counter-notifications when they appropriately believe a DMCA takedown or a NTD demand is invalid or improper. For more information on what to do if you think a DMCA notice has been improperly filed, you may wish to consult the Lumen database website.
If you are the owner of content that is being improperly used on Waterpedia Wiki without your permission, you may request that the content be removed under the DMCA or the NTD code. To make such a request, please email us at email@example.com or post mail to our designated agent. Please refer DMCA and NTD page
9. Third-party Websites and Resources
You are solely responsible for your use of any third-party websites or resources. Although Waterpedia Wiki contain links to third-party websites and resources, we do not endorse and are not responsible or liable for their availability, accuracy, or the related content, products, or services (including, without limitation, any viruses or other disabling features), nor do we have any obligation to monitor such third-party content.
10. Management of Websites
The community has the primary role in creating and enforcing policies applying to Waterpedia. At Waterpedia, we rarely intervene in community decisions about policy and its enforcement. In an unusual case, the need may arise, or the community may ask us, to address an especially problematic user because of significant disturbance or dangerous behavior. In such cases, we reserve the right, but do not have the obligation to:
- Investigate your use of the service (a) to determine whether a violation of these Terms of Service, Waterpedia policy, or other applicable law or policy has occurred, or (b) to comply with any applicable law, legal process, or appropriate governmental request;
- Detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security, or technical issues or respond to user support requests;
- Refuse, disable, or restrict access to the contribution of any user who violates these Terms of Service;
- Ban a user from editing or contributing or block a user's account or access for actions violating these Terms of Service, including repeat copyright infringement;
- Take legal action against users who violate these Terms of Service (including reports to law enforcement authorities); and
- Manage otherwise the website in a manner designed to facilitate their proper functioning and protect the rights, property, and safety of ourselves and our users, licensors, partners, and the public.
The blocking of an account or access or the banning of a user under this provision shall be in accordance with Section 12 of these Terms of Service.
11. Resolutions and Project Policies
The Waterpedia Wiki SYSOP and Administrators release official policies from time to time. Some of these policies may be mandatory, and when they are, you agree to abide by them as applicable.
Though we hope you will stay and continue to contribute to Waterpedia Wiki, you can stop using our services anytime. In certain (hopefully unlikely) circumstances it may be necessary for either ourselves or the Waterpedia Wiki community or its members (as described in Section 10) to terminate part or all of our services, terminate these Terms of Service, block your account or access, or ban you as a user. If your account or access is blocked or otherwise terminated for any reason, your public contributions will remain publicly available (subject to applicable policies), and, unless we notify you otherwise, you may still access our public pages for the sole purpose of reading publicly available content on the website. In such circumstances, however, you may not be able to access your account or settings. We reserve the right to suspend or end the Services at any time, with or without cause, and with or without notice. Even after your use and participation are banned, blocked or otherwise suspended, these Terms of Service will remain in effect with respect to relevant provisions, including Sections 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9-15, and 17.
We hope that no serious disagreements arise involving you, but, in the event, there is a dispute, we encourage you to seek resolution through the talk and discussion pages on Waterpedia Wiki.
At Waterpedia Wiki, we do our best to provide educational and informational content to a very wide audience in the environmental and sustainability sector, but your use of our services is at your sole risk. We provide these services on an "as is" and "as available" basis, and we expressly disclaim all express or implied warranties of all kinds, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement. We make no warranty that our services will meet your requirements, be safe, secure, uninterrupted, timely, accurate, or error-free, or that your information will be secure.
We are not responsible for the content, data, or actions of third parties, and you release us, our directors, officers, employees, and agents from any claims and damages, known and unknown, arising out of or in any way connected with any claim you have against any such third parties. No advice or information, whether oral or written, obtained by you from us or through or from our services creates any warranty not expressly stated in these Terms of Service.
Any material downloaded or otherwise obtained through your use of our services is done at your own discretion and risk, and you will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or loss of data that results from the download of any such material. You agree that we have no responsibility or liability for the deletion of, or the failure to store or to transmit, any content or communication maintained by the service. We retain the right to create limits on use and storage at our sole discretion at any time with or without notice.
15. Limitation on Liability
Waterpedia Wiki will not be liable to you or to any other party for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential or exemplary damages, including but not limited to, damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data, or other intangible losses, regardless of whether we were advised of the possibility of such damage. In the case that applicable law may not allow the limitation or exclusion of liability or incidental or consequential damages, the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you, although our liability will be limited to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law.
16. Modifications to these Terms of Service
Just as the Waterpedia Wiki community's input is essential for the growth and maintenance of this project, we believe that community input is essential for these Terms of Service to properly serve our users. It is also essential for a fair contract. Therefore, we will provide these Terms of Service, as well as any substantial future revisions of these Terms of Service, to the community for comment at least thirty (30) days before the end of the comment period. If a future proposed revision is substantial, we will provide an additional 30 days for comments after posting a translation of the proposed revision in at least three languages (selected at our discretion). The community will be encouraged to translate the proposed revision in other languages as appropriate. For changes for legal or administrative reasons, to correct an inaccurate statement or changes in response to community comments, we will provide at least three (3) days' notice.
Because it may be necessary to modify these Terms of Service from time to time, we will provide notice of such modifications via our website newsfeed and the opportunity to comment via social media. However, we ask that you please periodically review the most up-to-date version of these Terms of Service. Your continued use of our services after the new Terms of Service become official following the notice and review period constitutes an acceptance of these Terms of Service on your part. For the protection of Waterpedia Wiki and other users like yourself, if you do not agree with our Terms of Service, you cannot use our services.
17. Other Terms
These Terms of Service do not create an employment, agency, partnership, or joint venture relationship between you and us, Waterpedia Wiki. If you have not signed a separate agreement with us, these Terms of Service are the entire agreement between you and us. If there is any conflict between these Terms of Service and a signed written agreement between you and us, the signed agreement will control.
You agree that we may provide you with notices, including those regarding changes to the Terms of Service, by email, regular mail, or postings on the website.
If in any circumstance, we do not apply or enforce any provision of these Terms of Service, it is not a waiver of that provision.
You understand that, unless otherwise agreed to in writing by us, you have no expectation of compensation for any activity, contribution, or idea that you provide to us, the Waterpedia Wiki community.
Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary in these Terms of Service, we and you agree not to modify the applicable terms and requirements of any free license that is employed on the website when such free license is authorized by these Terms of Service.
If any provision or part of a provision of these Terms of Service is found unlawful, void, or unenforceable, that provision or part of the provision is deemed severable from these Terms of Service and will be enforced to the maximum extent permissible, and all other provisions of these Terms of Service will remain in full force and effect.
Thank You! We appreciate your taking the time to read these Terms of Service, and we are very happy to have you contributing to Waterpedia Wiki and using our services. Through your contributions, you are helping to build something really big – not only an important collection of a collaboratively edited encyclopedia that provides information to millions who might otherwise lack access but also a vibrant community of like-minded and engaged peers, focused on an environmental motive.