Waterpedia is a wiki based openly-editable (for all registered users) free-content collaborative environmental encyclopedia project initiated by the people, for the people in the environment and sustainability sector.
The name WATERPEDIA is a linguistic blend of the words WATER (the elixir of life and the most vital element on the earth) and encycloPEDIA.
Waterpedia runs using the fully customized MediaWiki – the open source wiki engine created by the Wikimedia Foundation that supports and hosts Wikipedia, the oldest, and largest Wikimedia project. Additionally, it is also modernized with FOUNDATION - the most advanced and responsive skin created by Anthom. More details about the wiki version and installed extensions are available at Waterpedia's version page.
In accordance with Waterpedia's environmental motive, this wiki is a carbon neutral website which means that we have attained a carbon offset to balance any greenhouse gas emissions that are created by running this website and its backend operations.
For more details, refer Waterpedia Carbon neutral page
The icon of Waterpedia has a water drop (on the left) intertwined together with a cordiform leaf (on the right) representing the inevitable environmental bond between the water cycle and the living matter. The letter W overlays on the icon, which together with the brand name Waterpedia and the bottom tagline THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ENVIRONMENT & SUSTAINABILITY forms the logo of Waterpedia
As an Online service provider (OSP), the goal of Waterpedia is to facilitate its users, editors, contributors and community members to build the encyclopedia for environment and sustainability sector according to its social mission, by complying with all technical and legal requirements of running this wiki website.
Waterpedia´s commitment is to become a one-point reliable learning source for any information related to the environmental and sustainability sector
- Equality in treating fellow Waterpedia members and contributors to achieving the community goals and fulfill the commitment.
- Freedom to use, study, share, make copies for redistribution and makes changes for improvements.
- Unbiased knowledge sharing from the best and most reputable authoritative sources in a neutral point of view.
The mission of Waterpedia is to ENABLE and ENGAGE people to EXCHANGE and EMPOWER ideas to EXCEL and ENHANCE the environmental sector worldwide by SHARING and SPREADING knowledge under free license to set forth to those who will come after us and having rendered as a source to the human race forever after for a sustainable future.
To be a one-point online source for sharing and learning any information related to the environmental and sustainability sector on the internet freely contributed by the people, for the people in the sector.
Though Waterpedia is founded / funded / developed / designed / programmed / administered / operated by two individuals towards an environmental philanthropic motive, it often uses the terms WE, US and OUR which is not just a literary conceit but in accordance with the environmental commitment, Waterpedia relies on every one of you to accomplish its social mission.
For more details, please visit the Waterpedia community page.
The Waterpedia project is inspired by Wikipedia, a free-content encyclopedia, but focusing only on the environmental and sustainability niche sector as a collaborative wiki openly editable by all registered users who are industry professionals and experts.
What is Waterpedia?
With the goal of building the online encyclopedia for the environmental and sustainability sector, Waterpedia contents are classified in to 6 SECTORS which are sub-classified into 29 SEGMENTS as listed below. Click on the blue down-arrow to see sector specific segments.
Knowledge sharing will not be limited to the above list, but anything in relation to the environmental and sustainable green development sector shall be part of Waterpedia. In case of new ideas and topics that are not fitting into above sector and segments, please share your thoughts using the contact form
What is Waterpedia not?
- not a place to publish copyrighted content or images without the permission of the copyright holder.
- not a place to publish your personal inventions, self-promotional essays.
- not a soapbox or advertising website to market companies and it's sales and products catalogs.
- not a file storage service, blog, forum, social networking service, dating service or a memorial site.
- not a yellow page directory to store and share contact information.
- not for discrimination against others on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected characteristics.
For more details, refer to the Waterpedia content policy .
For whom is Waterpedia?
- Environmental industry professional and experts
- Green-collar workers
- Students and people who are looking for green-collar jobs to understand more about the sector.
- Anyone who is surfing for information on the environmental, water and wastewater industry etc.